Summertime is almost here – you can feel it in the air. Get ready for blue skies, sunshine days, thunderstorms, heat, and humidity. Before the temperature rises too high, it’s a good idea to get out there are start checking things off your summer to-do list so you can get out there and enjoy the rest of the season. It is also a great time to check in with your MA homeowners insurance provider to make sure everything is up to date with your home insurance in New Bedford. If you are in need of New Bedford homeowners insurance, make sure to contact Borden Insurance for a FREE home insurance quote.
Indoor Cleaning & Maintenance Tips
After a breezy spring and all the dust, pollen, and dirt that comes with it, it’s a good idea to do some intensive cleaning on the appliances that you will rely on most this summer. Not only will cleaning and seasonal maintenance help to protect your investment, but it is also important to maintain your MA homeowners insurance coverage in the event of a claim. Homeowners must be diligent to stay on top of repairs and maintenance year-round.
- Ceiling Fan Blades – Keeping the fan blades clean can be a frustrating job. The rest of the house could be virtually dust-free, yet fan blades seem to accumulate tiny mountains of dust – even while spinning. Use a long-handled duster or you could “MacGyver” a dryer sheet on a long-pole paint roller and use it to clean blades without getting on a ladder.
- Refrigerator Coils & Gasket – Get more life out of your refrigerator by keeping the condenser coils free of dirt and dust. You can vacuum the area quickly and easily, which is located either on the front of the unit or in the back. Make sure that the rubber seal on your refrigerator doors is in good condition and repair or replace right away if they are cracked, worn or missing.
- Bathroom Vent Fans – Check the bathroom ceiling vent fans for dust and debris. Cleaning them can prevent noisy fans and make them more efficient. You can take the cover off to vacuum out the dust and then spray all fo the moving parts with a lubricant to keep it running effectively.
- Dryer Vent – According to studies reported by MA homeowners insurance companies, approximately 15,000 fires are caused by clogged dryer vents each year in the United States. The vent must be cleaned out regularly. Clean out the lint filter on the dryer itself every time you put in a new load. Check with your New Bedford homeowners insurance agent for more fire prevention tips year-round.
- A/C Filter – You will most likely be using your air conditioner this summer, so now is a good time to change out that filter and get it serviced by a local professional. Getting a tune-up for your air conditioner should occur every year before you use it to keep it in good working order. Filters should be changed every 30-days to trap pollen, dust, and other irritants.
Outdoor Cleaning & Maintenance Tips
It is a good idea to create a to-do list for yourself at the beginning of every season. Getting outdoors to check on your home is a great way to spot tiny issues before they become big problems. Your New Bedford homeowners insurance is designed to protect you from things like fires, floods, and storms, but it won’t protect you from your own neglect. Review your MA homeowners insurance policy and make sure to read about your responsibilities as a homeowner so you will know what to expect if and when you need to make a claim.
- Crawl Space – The very beginning of summer is a great time to check out your crawl space. Look for things like mold, mildew, rot, and buckled or warped wood. Excess moisture can cause a whole host of problems that will cost a lot of money to fix. Check floor joists, HVAC ductwork, utility access areas, and other areas of your crawl space that tend to get water or moisture build up. If you suspect damage, contact your agent about home insurance in New Bedford and call a professional to get an estimate on repairs right away.
- Exterior of Home – Walk around your home and check for any damage that might need to be repaired. Check for cracks or breaks in aluminum siding, brick, and other surface coverings. Look out for mold and mildew, which can grow in the summer heat and humidity. Clean off any mold and mildew that you find, while taking action to prevent future growth on your home.
- Driveway Cracks – Inspect your driveway, sidewalk, and front steps for any cracks, holes, or other types of damage. You can repair concrete with a special concrete caulk. Asphalt caulk sealer is also available for asphalt driveways. If you can’t afford to replace the driveway or if it is just in need of small repair, consider pressure washing it before repairing any holes. Once the holes are patched, apply a resurfacer or sealer over the entire surface for added protection.
- Irrigation Check – Before the “dog days” of summer arrive, make sure to do an irrigation check to see that everything is working as it should. Inspect for leaks and clogs, while adjusting sprinkler heads to prevent water waste and dry patches.
Contact Borden Home Insurance in New Bedford
If you are looking to get a home insurance quote for MA homeowners insurance or if you want to update your existing New Bedford homeowners insurance, contact Borden Insurance by calling 508-999-3636 and ask to speak with one of our agents. We offer a variety of insurance opportunities, including home, auto, and life.