Distracted driving has become a serious problem in our country. There are so many technology-based distractions that are the cause of serious accidents and property damage each and every year. New laws are being enacted in various states to help combat the problems associated with texting while driving and using other mobile devices. Over 3,000 people were killed in 2010 due to crashes that were caused by a distracted driver, and over 415,000 were injured in crashes that involved distracted drivers. Agencies for car insurance in New Bedford are well aware of these statistics and can help provide you with tips that will prevent distracted driving related accidents.
Top Distractions for Drivers
Your MA auto insurance agent knows that knowledge is power. The more that you can learn about distracted driving and how it can affect not only your safety and the safety of your passengers, but also your auto insurance in New Bedford, MA, the better equipped you will be to be a better driver. Your New Bedford insurance agent at Borden Insurance wants you to know which distractions are the most common causes of accidents in the United States.
Things that will divert your attention from driving can include:
- social media
- talking on a smartphone or cellphone
- talking to other passengers
- eating or drinking
- applying makeup or checking hair
- navigation system use
- watching a video
- adjusting music or using a music player
How many of those things do you do each and every day? We are all guilty of turning on the radio or talking with other passengers. It is important to recognize these issues and learn how to overcome the potential hazards that they pose. Your New Bedford insurance agent has tips that you can use to help you be an even safer driver. These tips are good for new drivers, teens, parents, commercial businesses and senior drivers alike.
Why Education is Important
Distracted drivers are a danger to everyone on the road. Even simple activities that occur while driving, such as drinking a beverage or changing a radio station, can be distracting enough to result in an accident. Even some of the latest hands-free technologies can also serve as a distraction, keeping the mental focus of the driver off of what’s happening on the road, even just for a few seconds. Your MA auto insurance agent cares about the safety of you and your passengers, not just as the provider of your car insurance in New Bedford, but as a larger member of the overall community that you live and drive in each day.
Here are some tips that you can use today to reduce driving distractions:
- turn off your phone – before you start driving, just turn off your cellphone or smartphone and put it away; put it in a purse, in the glove compartment or inside of another storage space; you can also switch it to silent mode if you want to keep it on for messages that can be retrieved when you make a stop
- use technology tools – create a special message for friends that can be engaged when you are driving that tells them you will call them when you get off the road; there are apps and services that can provide this feature if your smartphone doesn’t already have it included
- pull over – if you need to make a call or want to check your messages, pull over into a rest stop or gas station; don’t pull over on the side of the road where you might put yourself in danger, but definitely don’t use technology while you are driving
- ask for help – passengers can help check messages, read maps, change radio stations, view GPS information and answer phone calls, helping you to keep your eyes on the road
- secure kids and pets – before you start out on the road, make sure that all kids and pets are secured in the back; you don’t want a puppy jumping around in your vehicle or kids getting loose out of car seats and seat belts while you are driving
- pull over for discipline – if your children are misbehaving during a trip or even a drive to school, don’t try to take care of their behavior while driving, but pull over and talk with them in a safe place, such as a gas station or other shopping parking lot
- stay focused – avoid things like drinking, eating, smoking, grooming, talking or anything else that will keep your eyes and mind off the road; multi-tasking may be a requirement in today’s busy lifestyle, but it should never be done while driving
Call Borden Insurance for a Quote
If you are in need of auto insurance in New Bedford, MA or the surrounding area, contact your trusted New Bedford insurance agent at Borden Insurance. We can provide you with a FREE quote for car insurance in New Bedford and can help you get the best coverage at the best rates available. Call today at 508-999-3636 and get more information on safe driving from your New Bedford auto insurance agent.